Sunday, November 24, 2013

I'm No Super-Mom!


We had a great discussion tonight in our ladies Bible study about raising godly children.  I still don’t quite know how we began our class with that, since the topic was the death and resurrection of Lazarus, but it was a much needed discussion none-the-less.  Plus, we were able to end on the thought provoking truth that the all-powerful God who raised Lazarus that day, is the same God that wants to help us parent our children.  Being a mom is one of the most rewarding things I will ever do, but it’s also the most challenging.  We want to give the very best to our kids, but we don’t want to spoil them.   Every decision comes with the fear of making the wrong one.  For me, I fear that I’m going to ruin my children by not providing them the opportunities they need or by not being the emotional and spiritual support they need to prepare them for life.  Every failure is magnified under our mom-sized microscope as we compare ourselves to all the other super-mom’s around us.  Besides all that, as Christian moms, we have a deep desire to instill godly values into our children, but often don’t know how. 

2 Timothy 3:16 says that “all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.”

2 Peter 1:3 tells us that “His divine spirit has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness…”

The fact is, if we want to raise godly children, we cannot do it apart from God’s word.  That means that we first need to be in God’s word as moms so that we know how to share it with our children.  There are all kinds of tools and books out there to help in this journey, but nothing can replace the absolute truth of God’s Word.  Like I told the ladies tonight, I’m going to fail (and do fail).  There will be lots of times that I don’t speak the truth of scripture in my kid’s life when I should.  There will be times that I’ll miss an opportunity to pray with them so they can experience the power of the Lord in their life.  However, that won’t keep me from trying.  Rather, it will push me to do better next time.  I have been putting scripture in front of my children and praying with my children since they were in the womb.  It is never too early!  The beautiful thing about the power of God is that it’s also never too late.  Start today!  I promise you that God’s Word and prayer make a difference.  Better than that, God promises!  Isaiah 55:11 says that the word that goes forth from God will NOT return void.  It WILL accomplish what God wants it to.  If you feel like you've failed too much already, and you just give up, then the devil is getting the victory in your life.  God is all-powerful and is bigger than my mistakes.  I only fail when I give up and quit trying.  So, get in the Word right now and see what God has for you today! 

Here’s a “starter list” for you of verses to start teaching your children right away.  Even babies need to learn the Bible, and YES, it does make a difference!  I am happy to help you find Bible passages for what you might be dealing with specifically, and I am always here to help coach you in how to present it to your kids.  We’re in this thing together as sisters in the Lord, so don’t be afraid to ask for help!! 

Top 10 Bible Verses to teach your children

John 3:16 – For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Ephesians 6:1 – Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.

Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.

Proverbs 13:24 – He who spares his rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

Proverbs 20:11 – Even a child is known by his deeds, whether what he does is pure and right.

1 John 1:9 – If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 Peter 5:7 – Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.

Philippians 4:6 – Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.

Proverbs 15:3 – The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.

Matthew 19:14 – But Jesus said, Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment